BUSINESS ANALYST (Junior/ Mid Level), Sydney, Australia
Join the Mad Paws team!
Mad Paws is Australia’s largest marketplace for pet sitting and pet related services; the platform allows pet owners to search for pet sitters in their local area and find someone to look after their best friend when they’re not around. We launched 3.5 years ago and we have been showing extremely strong growth, which we are very excited about. We are venture backed and recently partnered with Qantas to accelerate our expansion. Mad Paws is made up of a talented and passionate team working towards creating the largest pet community in Australia. Our team is driven, capable and very hard working, enjoying every minute of this exciting adventure with a clear goal to win!
In Mad Paws we use data to determine what is working, what isn’t, how to optimize and how to scale. You will be the person who owns that data: you will ask the right business questions, then find the right data, perform stellar analysis, and visualize the results.
This is a unique cross-functional role that has a clear and direct impact on the growth of our business with important strategic and executional components. You will work closely with the Operations, Marketing and Product teams and report directly to the Head of Product.
Your main responsibilities will be:
General Business Analytics:
- Support design and tracking of KPIs across the business
- Create data visualizations and automate reporting
- Dive deep into data in order to find patterns, anomalies, discover root causes and provide opportunities for improvement
- Support budgeting, forecasting and finance reporting
Support Marketing and Operations:
- Ensure data quality in our marketing, operations and customer data
- Provide the operations and marketing teams with actionable insights
- Work together with our performance and brand marketing teams to improve the effectiveness of campaigns and channel parnterships
- Find the weaknesses and opportunities in the business operations by quantifying them.
- For example: where are the drop-offs in our sales funnels and how are they related to operations and customer support? What is the impact of sitter response rates on booking success?
Strategic problem solving:
- Come up with creative and efficient solutions identified through your data analysis to improve the business;
- Work on strategic data projects:
- Understand the nature of the data problems we want to solve
- Define the scope and requirements of such a project
- Analyse, interpret results and deliver recommendations to Mad Paws
- Example of such projects:
- Identify indicators that lead to a user turning into a power user
- Quantify disintermediation in the market place
Your likely background:
- Experience in a digital environment, ideally marketplace or ecommerce with a thorough understanding of online business metrics
- Ideally, you've held an analytics role in a business environment with contribution to C-suite reporting
- Ability to validate and interpret large complex data sources
- Advanced excel skills including Pivot tables, dynamic named ranges, index-match and visualization
- Strong analytical ability, involving conducting in-depth data analysis and creating insightful reports
- Digital experience using analytics software to gain insights
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Experience in designing, compiling and updating data reports
- Comfortable working on multiple projects and multiple data sources concurrently
- Must have: Advanced Excel skills
- Must have: Experience in SQL scripting, incl. querying, table
- Should have: Experience in Data Visualization tools such as tableau or Google Data Studio
- Should have: Daily use of analytical platforms such as Segment, Mixpanel or Google Analytics
- Could have: Experience in BI tools or software products for manipulating and reporting data
- Could have: cloud based database experience (Big Query or Amazon Redshift), also Python scripting capabilities
- Very analytical. You simply love data; and you love interpreting numbers that help the business solve real problems.
- Exceptionally detail orientated with the ability to fly up and think high-level strategic when required
- Entrepreneurial self-starter: you are self-motivated and you take the initiative;
- You are eager to constantly improve yourself; we constantly need to find better ways to do things;
- You know how to prioritise and understand that perfection is not the goal: we need to get things done and iterate quickly while collecting the right data and insights;
- You are tech savvy
- Pets! Woof! You have an affinity with pets; this will help you understand our users better who absolutely love pets;
- You are a great team player and have ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
So you’ve got the skills, you’re still reading, and you’re wondering if you’ll find a good team fit with us at Mad Paws?
- If you’re the kind of person who likes seeing something scale really quickly, and loves directly seeing the impact of their work, then you need to get on board. We continue tripling the business every year and we need you to keep doing that!
- You love learning from the people around you and love teaching them something new as well.
- You enjoy working with a passionate and driven team of high performing individuals who respectfully challenge themselves and each other to deliver the best experience for our users
- You identify with our values:
- Be the WOW: we are all about the creative hustle, doing more with less to go above and beyond
- Seek to Understand: we listen without making assumptions and appreciate that we’re all wonderfully different breeds
- We before Me: we move as a Pack so that no pup gets left behind. We communicate with transparency and act with authenticity
- Be Humble: noone is a finished product, we’ve all got new tricks to learn
- Embrace the MADness: our obsessions with pets and people runs deep and we’re not afraid to show it!
When and where is this happening:
- This is a full-time position.
- Looking to fill the position as soon as possible, but we are determined to find the right fit;
- Pet friendly office based in Pyrmont Sydney
We’re super excited to receive your applications and we can’t wait to meet you!
- Please send an e-mail with CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Head of Product)