USER EXPERIENCE DESIGNER IN HIGH GROWTH STARTUP
Join the Mad Paws team!
Mad Paws Pty Ltd (www.madpaws.com.au) is a Sydney-based Internet startup. We are Australia’s largest market place for pet sitting and pet related services. We launched only 1.5 years ago and have been showing strong and accelerated growth, which we are very excited about. Our team is driven, capable and very hard working! We are young and hungry; enjoying every minute of this exciting adventure with a clear goal to win! We recently finalised a $1.1m financing round from great investors, which will allow us to significantly scale up. YOU can be part of this exciting new chapter from the very beginning! Are you a winner? Are you driven by a passion for making an impact? Are you keen to learn?
The Mad Paws platform is a two-sided market place which means we have to maintain a deep empathy for very different groups of users, with different motivations and needs. As our platform evolves, we are also transitioning from a pure travelling solution (think "pet friendly accommodation") to an on-demand service (more like "dog walking" and "day care"), so there's a complex set of interactions and information needs that are constantly changing. Working with the Product Manager and development team, it will be your responsibility to unify the experience for all our users, in spite of these different needs and mediums of interaction.
Your main responsibilities will be the following:
- User research - customer interviews and contextual inquiry to understand users intimately;
- Information architecture - work with Mad Paws business functions with understand information flow and information needs. Thinking deeply about the purpose and intention of UI elements, not just doing it because it's "pretty";
- Empathy Maps and Personas - continued development of working personas and utilisation of these tools in the design process;
- Competitive Analysis - think about what our competitors are doing, and try to understand the rationale behind it before implementing similar features.
- Wireframes - Work with Product Manager in building low-fidelity prototypes that communicate user stories;
- Interactive Prototypes - Provide high-fidelity UI prototypes in an Agile development team.
- Design Thinking - You will be our design lead and hence you will have to build a culture of empathy and understanding for why design matters. E.g. why good design is so much more than "aesthetics".
- You need to be able to sell! Sell the merits of design thinking to other business stakeholders. Budgets, time constraints and priorities are on the line and you'll have to justify your design vision;
- You can read a product and understand the intent behind the design decisions that informed it;
- You're not afraid of data. You're not data driven but you are data powered;
- Entrepreneurial self-starter: you are self-motivated and you take the initiative;
- You are eager to constantly improve yourself; we constantly need to find better ways to do things;
- You know how to prioritise and understand that perfection is not the goal: we need to get things done and iterate quickly while collecting the right data and insights;
- You are energetic and enthusiastic;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- You have an affinity with pets; this will help you understand our users better who absolutely love pets;
- You are a great team player and have ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Ideally, you've had at least 1 year practising UX or human centered design, and some form of tertiary education where you've undertaken some formal design courses.
Required skills and professional experience
- Know the tools of the trade. None of these are strictly compulsory however it goes without saying that you need to be highly proficient in at least 2-3 of these tools:
- Pen and pencil;
- HTML and CSS experience is a plus!
- A portfolio. Showing previous projects in UI design and other related design work.
When and where is this happening:
- This is a full-time position;
- Looking to fill the position as soon as possible, but we are determined to find the right fit;
- Based in Sydney. Own office but part of Sydney’s largest co-working tech hub Fishburners;
- Perks include:
- Free coffee, ping pong tables and awesome chill out areas (in the building);
- Wentworth park and Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre just down the road;
- 10 minutes walk from Central Station;
- 1-minute walk from Chinatown and all that amazing food!
We’re super excited to receive your applications and we can’t wait to meet you!
- Chris (Head of Product) and Alexis (CEO)
- Please e-mail your CV and motivation letter to Chris@madpaws.com.au