We all love plants to brighten up our homes and yards but could you be putting your pooch at risk with your flora and fauna? We’ve compiled a list of some of the common toxic plants for dogs. Do you have any? If so, follow this list to ensure your furry friend eats delicious dog food and not poisonous plants.
1. Autumn Crocus
Although beautiful, the Autumn Crocus is one of the most toxic plants for dogs. It contains Colchicine and other alkaloid which cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, liver, and kidney damage. While the most toxic part of the plant is the bulb, the entire Plant is toxic for dogs.
The Azalea is so poisonous that the ingestion of just a couple of leaves can leave your dog with severe oral irritation, vomiting, and diarrhoea. In severe cases, eating Azalea can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma and death.
3. Peace Lily
A common houseplant, the Peace Lily is a potential hazard to your pooch. If chewed or ingested, it can cause significant irritation of the mouth leading to drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. As such, it belongs on any list of toxic plants for dogs.
Although the whole of the Tulip is toxic, like most bulbs, the bulb of the Tulip is the most toxic part . Ingestion of this popular flower can cause pain and irritation in the mouth, excessive drooling, and nausea.
They may brighten up Spring but the entire Daffodil is thought to be toxic to dogs, although the bulb has the highest toxicity. Like other toxic plants, when ingested the Daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, convulsions, and a potentially fatal drop in blood pressure.
7. Sago Palm
The Sago Palm is extremely toxic to dogs when eaten, causing bloody vomiting and diarrhoea, bleeding disorders, liver failure, and, potentially, death. Although all of the palm is dangerous, the seeds or “nuts” contain the highest toxicity.
Don’t let its pretty exterior fool you. Oleanders are toxic plants for dogs and can quickly cause fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, incoordination, vomiting, and bloody diarrhoea.
Also known as Sowbread, the Cyclamen is popular in households all over Australia. However, it can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, heart abnormalities, seizures, and death if ingested by your four-legged family members.
Especially popular around this time of year leading up to Easter, the beautiful Amaryllis is also poisonous to dogs. Its toxins can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, drooling, and tremors.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and you should always check before purchasing new plants for your home. If you think your dog has ingested any part of a poisonous plant, don’t wait. Contact your veterinarian immediately for advice. If your pup has any allergies to otherwise non-lethal plants, always inform your trusted Pet Sitter ahead of their booking.